Log in

No account? Create an account

Who Needs a Title?

We're equals!

Pat Rieger




Skipped Back 10

May 7th, 2017

(no subject)

One of the traditions for my birthday since my wife and I met is to get a Cold Stone ice cream cake.

And it has a lot of calories!

When we first did this 6 years ago there were just 6 of us who ate it. I told my Spin instructor and he was made speechless, and he is not the type to left speechless my anything. So we made sure it was burned off, even 3 weeks after my birthday he was saying only I was to turn up the resistance, I was still burning off the cake.

In September 2014, due to our ailing financial situation, we had to quite the YMCA. No more regular exercise. I had said before I need to have a place to focus on exercise, and the gym is it.

As a result I have gained weight the last few years.

Yesterday I got to get back to Spin class, albeit for one day.

When my Spin instructor posted "Happy Birthday" on my Facebook timeline I commented that we had another of those cakes and I needed a Spin class to burn it off. He said he had me covered, and to be at the newest Y Saturday morning at 9. Of course I jumped at it!

I was very excited! Spin was always one of my favorite classes, and I missed it a lot. I was right up front. It took me a while to remember the settings for the bike, so it took some adjusting and testing before I got it right. It was a 50 minute class, and I could feel the nearly 3 years of no Spin. Of the 26 gears on the bike I Could get up to gear 24 before. The highest I got Saturday was 17. It took some effort to keep going too. But I did it. I felt like I was back a the Y downtown ready for 90 minutes of heart pumping, sweat inducing work. I felt like my waist was shrinking back down. It was an awesome experience. I need to keep it up.

April 21st, 2017

In this case it is not a place but my health.

In the 2 and a half years since my wife and I had to quit the gym for financial reasons I have gained weight. Being a Lyft driver doesn't help because of the nature of the work has me sitting for hours at a time. Regular exercise does not come easy for me at home with all of the things I need to do. I need a place where I can focus on exercise without distractions.

We have bought running shoes but the running hasn't happened yet. I will take time out of the work day and go for a walk. But for me that little bit isn't enough. I need intense exercise, especially cardio.

The family and I are started to go for evening walks, but they are irregular and not a consistent length.

So I have turned to another area I can make changes, my eating habits. I used to be very good with my food choices but in recent years I have slacked off. In the past week I have started to go back to what it was, starting with a drastic reduction in my sugar intake, especially Pepsi. I can easily say no to all other soft drinks but I have a hard time with Pepsi. After many hours of driving, which can get nerve wracking, a bottle of Pepsi tastes very good and helps me to relax. But it also has my pants fit tighter. Pepsi will be relegated to parties and evenings at the Harp & Fiddle.

Also my portion sizes are being reduced. Tonight I was reminded I need to be careful about that. I didn't eat enough and got a headache, and had to quit working earlier than I wanted. Came home to take 2 Excedrin and relax a bit before going to bed.

I need to lose 20-25lbs to be back where I used to be.

A number of years ago a friend of mine gave me old jeans to contribute to my collection of denim that I hope to make into a nice picnic blanket someday. They were size 8 and I could squeeze into them. They were not uncomfortably tight, but what belly I had was pushed up. Now I barely squeeze into 12s.

I want to go back to size 8.

April 4th, 2017

A few weeks ago my wife and I finally got running shoes. It is something we have been wanting to do for a long time, especially me who has lamented having to quit the gym a few years ago, and I have not liked the effects of not getting that regular intense exercise. Exercising at home is not a good replacement. I need a place I can focus.

Now I have running shoes and an app for my phone to help get started. Just need to find the ear buds.

However that did not stop me from going for an initial run/walk today for about 25 minutes, and it felt great. Just knowing I was finally doing brought my mood up a lot.

In the evening my young son and I went for a walk for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, which also felt good, besides spending the quality time with my son.

As a Lyft driver I make my own schedule, so I can stop working for a while and get some running in, and then get back to work. With the weather still cool I can get with it. Once the weather warms up, not so much.

But I am on my way.

March 11th, 2017

I have lots of books.

But I have little time to read them.

Life keeps me pretty busy. When I do have a chance to crack open a book it is late in the evening, and after a couple of page I am falling asleep.

The latest book I have started to read is SETI Pioneers: Scientists Talk about Their Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence by David W. Swift. It is a book of interviews of SETI pioneers.

I haven't got far in the book, I am still working on the first interview, but is is very interesting so far, and a subject I have long been interested in.

January 30th, 2017

Another Connection Gone

Like so many people who have been divorced, there are many connections, links, to my previous marriage. As the years go by there are less and less. They can not go down to zero, at least in my case, as we did have a son together.

One of those links to the past passed away Friday night. My cat, Remus.

It was June 2001, and grad school was coming to a close. One day my ex received either a phone call or an email from one of her professors, Carla. Carla had found 2 kittens in her yard. She thinks they were dumped outside as they were very friendly, and wanted to come into her house. They were very hungry too. Carla would have taken them in, she was a cat person, but she was about to head to Greece for the Summer. All of the shelters were full. So she asked if we wanted them. Being the big softies for cats that we are, we said yes. Carla brought them into her garage, putting a carpet remnant into a box for them to lay in, and gave them food, and they ate a lot.

We picked them up the next day (I think, I know it was a short time after being asked). We asked our friends for name for these 2 brothers, and my ex-sister-in-law suggested Romulus & Remus. Those were the name we chose.

Romulus died in 2005 of an infection. We didn't have the money to take him to an emergency vet, so we planned to take him to a regular vet on Monday. He didn't last the weekend.

The next year my wife an I split up, and I took two cats, Hypatia and Remus. I couldn't afford two cats, and Hypatia was too wild for anyone else so my now late ex-parents-in-law took Remus in. 2 years later, November 2008, after I had Hypatia put down I got Remus back, the same day. My parents-in-law had both passed away by that time (first him, and then her), and their house was being cleared out. With Hypatia's behavior I needed to put her down anyway so this kicked me in the butt to do it. I put her down, and that same evening I went over to get Remus.

It was just him and me in my little apartment for a few years until my wife and I met.

A year later Remus got a kitty companion, Chelsea. They became very close, snuggling, grooming, both at open windows watching the animals and anything else.

Recently Remus was showing his age, not as energetic, thinner, slower, but still very much mine, and snuggled up to me at every opportunity.

But starting last weekend he showed a quick decline. Urinating just outside of the litter box. Hardly eating, hardly drinking. Not interested in treats. He wasn't as clean, he had major eye boogers. Thursday he went under Vaughn's bed and didn't come out. Friday it was obvious the end was close. I checked on him a lot, and watched him decline. It was obvious systems were shutting down. The smell was getting bad. Around 10:30PM he breathed his last. I was there when it happened.

The next day I took his body to the Animal Rescue League for disposal. We could not afford a burial, or cremation.

Chelsea doesn't know what to do with herself.

My 4 year old son doesn't understand. He spent 5 minutes on Saturday calling for Remus.

There are many connections from my old marriage I don't care to keep. Remus was not one of them. He was my kitty.

January 27th, 2017

No Where To Go

The last few years have been rough for my family and I. I was laid off 3 times, followed by periods of unemployment. Daycare is pricey, and we had no choice but to put our son in it until he was of school age. Problem with our old car, and unexpected move 4 years ago, plus other problems that cost money always coming up.

Somehow we were always able to get through.

But now we have come to a problem where we have no way out.

Our new car needs new front brakes and a wheel bearing replaced. We have no way to pay for it, and no one can help us. Unless something happens I can not see or envision, we're stuck. With out the car I can not work. The garage wants at least the cost of the parts paid, and then I can pay the rest next week. But we don't even have that.

I am going to do something fun for now, perhaps I'll think of something afterwards.

January 18th, 2017


16 years ago tonight I got the call that my mom had died.

She had a major stroke the previous late October, resulting in her going into a coma. After 2 weeks in the hospital she was taken home to rest in a hospice bed in her livingroom. My then wife and I were able to take time off from graduate school to help at home. But we had to be back in school in Cincinnati for the new quarter.

I do not know what it is like to have grandparents.

I do not know what it like to have a dad.

They all died when I was very young (my paternal grandfather died 5 years before I was born).

But I knew my mom. The woman I was named after, and who people think I look a lot like. I had friends who told me they wish they could have been their mom.

And I miss her a lot.

Every day I wish I could hug her again.

I wish she could meet her grandsons, and do all of the things grandparents and grandchildren do together. I wish they could go to her on place on Christmas and open presents.

But she died before either one was born.

My mom would have been happy to have more grandchildren but even happier they would be in the same town as her. All of the others lived in Derry, New Hampshire, and she didn't see them much.

Duncan has red hair, and Vaughn has auburn hair, which would have made my mom very happy.

She would have also been happy I was back in Pittsburgh. It broke her heart when I moved away.

I have a few things of hers. The afghan and pillows she crocheted after retiring for one. My sons have used the afghan on occasion, and I like to think it is their grandmother making sure they are warm.

Her good china set and good silverware. I use them on Thanksgiving and Christmas, or the rare times when friends come over for dinner.

These things are a connection.

So if she can not be here, at least there are ways to remember and connect.

December 8th, 2016

When It Rains...

Yes, it is an old and well used phrase. But sometimes it fits.

So we are catching up from Thanksgiving, and will have a while until we do.

I knew rent would be late, and I was hoping to pay it Thursday.

Then Tuesday night I started to hear and feel something from the rear brakes on the car. Wednesday it got worse. Then I heard a scraping noise from the right rear when the brakes were not applied. When they were applied I could hear a deep grinding.

If I had a driveway I could do it myself, but I don't and I am not about to do the work in the street, especially not in 30 degree weather.

So it looks like instead of working in the morning I will be heading off to get the brakes fixed.

I am not happy.

November 19th, 2016

Put On Your Best Face

Sonic Screwdriver
For over 5 months I have been a Lyft Driver.

Nearly 2 months ago I started driving for Uber as well.

It is best that a driver be friendly, positive, and likes to talk, and I am all of these things.

Because I see people from all over, from many walks of life, I feel a responsibility to be a good face for Pittsburgh, just like when I worked at Carnegie Science Center. So I do my best to represent Pittsburgh, as much as a non-sport person who also does not drink can do that.

I love meeting new people, and I love to talk, so this is a good a job for me. I know my way around very well, which helps.

Two examples:

1) This evening my wife and I joined some friends at the Harp & Fiddle, a friend of ours was performing. We were there not very long when I heard a woman calling out my name. When I looked at the bar I saw who it was, and as she started to head down to where I was I met her. I had given her and a couple of friends of hers a ride the night before. She gave me a huge hug (which I will never complain about), and introduced me to the people she was with.

2) As we were leaving, a couple in their 50s from St Louis, and who came to Pittsburgh for the National League of Cities convention, came walking in. I had given them a ride 2 nights before to an Air B&B 1.5 blocks away and suggested they go to the Harp Friday for Terry. They liked the idea, and for most of the night I thought they decided not to go. They did, just later, and so my wife and I stayed and talked to them for at least 20 minutes. They loved Terry's music, so when he took a break I asked him to come over. It was a great time, and I am happy to have represented Pittsburgh as well as I did.

So without even trying I have become an ambassador of sorts, a face for Pittsburgh. It is very satisfying that to know I am doing a good job.

November 14th, 2016

Let's Get Physical

Sonic Screwdriver
Even with being a contractor instead of an employee of Lyft, there are still benefits and perks. One of them is a good price at LA Fitness, the nearest being in Bakery Square.

For financial reasons I had to quit the Y over 2 years ago. Since then I have seen and felt the results of not doing regular intense exercise. For all of my intentions and plans, I am not able to do it at home. There is too much to do, and I am the only one to do it. I need a place where I can focus and get help when I need it.

So the benefit of a discount at LA Fitness will be wonderful!

I admit I was always hoping to rejoin the Y but the current situation does not look good for it.

I mainly need to lose the weight gained around the middle. Then I can go back to a size 10, or even a size 8 which I could squeeze into about 6 years ago.

I have also signed for Healthy Ride, and some day this week I plan to take it for the first time, the destination being downtown. I need intense cardio more than muscle work. I don't want to be bulky, but instead slim down.
Powered by LiveJournal.com